Tuesday, January 11, 2011

happy.

blogget_-53this sunday, i found myself sitting behind a girl with a perfect braid, messy and unruly. as she turned to whisper to her friend i saw a glow about her and thought, wow she’s naturally beautiful. a beauty that some boys may not notice (i dont understand, nor will i try to understand what’s considered attractive to boys) and a beauty that i once would have scoffed at. i remember a time, when i’d see a pretty girl and i’d immediately hate her. i’d use her flawless features as some cruel means of torture to myself, using it against me, allowing jealousy and self loathing to soak into my soul. how fair is that? and what good did that do? all i was left with was a feeling of no self worth and zero self confidence. oh how glorious it is to see people differently. i think that’s something we all go through (as women). i also think that it is a tool used against us. today i made the mistake of watching the bachelor and i saw this in almost every girls eyes, granted it is a competition, but it reminded me of how destructive comparison is and how important it is to love ourselves. when we love and accept ourselves we are able to see the beauty in others. i would never claim to be great at this whole, loving on myself thing, but it is something im working on. always working on. but i have seen and felt and experienced the peace and joy it brings when i try to see as He sees. myself and others included.

thanks miss nadia for this lovely quote. you are so great/beautiful/lovely.

13 comments:

Adria said...

oh how i love you camilucious! you are such a beautiful person and i feel so lucky to be able to call you my friend! xoxo

monster cakes said...

Amen sister! Women can do so much better in this world if they learn to build each other up.

ps. I hope by 'Him' you mean Christ, and if so, yey! I love Jesus too. If not, please excuse my inability to contain my love for my 'Him.'

Auntie Em said...

I love your posts... always do. Thanks Cami.

Alexis Kaye said...

you're inspiring! how beautiful :)

Shay said...

This is so perfect, Cam. I hate that it seems girls are hardwired to compare ourselves. I just wanted to let you know I am not jealous of you because that is bad (;-)) but I think you are amazing, beautiful, funny, smart and ridiculously good looking. I guess I said that already...ha!

mindy said...

love it. i'll be honest- i'm jealous of your cute style & amazing hair. but now i'll try to be less jealous :) love you girl!

Natalie said...

amazing.

Brandon & Jillyn Larsen said...

isnt it funny how that works...we see other girls and are jealous of them and hate them because of it and then they think completely different about those things that we see. oh the cycle that never ends. you're gorgeous cami!

Cambriaaaa said...

Love this quote and the honesty!

Brissa said...

thank you for this. it's definitely something we forget and need to be reminded of constantly.

The Carlson Family said...

Wow. This is my favorite thing you have ever written. I notice too, that as I age and as I find more love for myself I am in awe of other women and what they offer the world. I wish I had had a better realization of that in high school and my younger twenties. I think we would be such a powerful force if we just loved each other more.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Awh great post!! Spoke right to me!! Love you!